Facilitation is a special way of working with people, which allows participants in the process to independently determine their goals and objectives, think about how to achieve them, be responsible for their implementation, and respect themselves and others.
Effective Meetings with Facilitation Among Clients and Coworkers
One of the approaches that help create a favorable atmosphere in the team and, at the same time, solve the problem is called facilitation. This is by no means a new phenomenon: people have been thinking about how to ensure effective interaction in a group for a long time. However, now the art of facilitation is receiving a new round of development, finding application in many areas: in business, education, and the social sphere.
Some consider facilitation a separate tool for organizing the process of group communication, others consider it a set of techniques, others consider it a management style, and some consider it a way of life and thinking. In teaching, facilitation can support fundamental changes in the pedagogical approach and increase the effectiveness of group work on the material. Threat risk and business impact assessments are considered acceptable only after they have been reviewed and approved by the organizational team leader.
Facilitation nurtures teams in facilitation sessions:
- participants learn to listen to each other;
- everyone participates;
- respect opinions other than their own;
- support each other with awkward creative ideas;
- come to a consensus;
- find solutions;
- and implement these decisions with greater zeal, as they took part in their development.
This is exactly what managers and leaders need! Meetings are a key form of team communication. Not only the level of their motivation but also the success of the common cause depends on how effectively the leader conducts meetings with his employees. Tools and approaches that work well offline need to be adapted not only to the purpose of the meeting but also to the team’s experience in collaboratively working through issues online. These value judgments are formed through consensus among various key stakeholders.
How Does Facilitation Help in the Boost Process and How to Apply Its Methods and Techniques?
Prior to the meeting to boost virtual facilitation, you should:
- Prepare and distribute the meeting agenda to attendees. If presentations or other documents are to be viewed, they must also be distributed in advance. If there are many presentations, or they contain video and photo materials, you can place them on a cloud service.
- Send out instructions for joining the meeting. Ask to make a trial connection 5-10 minutes before the meeting.
- Check if all hardware and programs are working as expected.
- On the day of the meeting, resend an invitation with a reminder of the meeting, its goals, and instructions for joining. Find out if all participants can participate.
Facilitation is becoming a mass competency that no company can do without today. Organizations are becoming more horizontal and distributed, and a lot of cross-team communications and design work are being carried out. It allows you to counter the threats of the latest spyware and adware programs and blocks the operation of such programs even before the user is redirected to another site. Facilitation is most often used in the following cases:
- Development of the ability to organize information, effective discussions and meetings, and solve complex problems in teams.
- Solving organizational contradictions and problems. This task is intended to be solved by HR business partners and managers.
- Holding strategic sessions, and forming a vision for the future.